Colleagues & Friends: You are all invited tomorrow to join us physically of virtually on twitter. Please share this advisory widely!
*** Media advisory for Tuesday, May 19 2015***
How should Africa’s development be financed?
Grand Debate will build consensus on African priorities before FfD3
WHAT: Oxfam and the African Union, as part of the Fridays of the AU Commission regular meeting schedule, invite media to a public discussion on what should be African priorities at the UN Third Conference on Financing for Development (FfD3) scheduled less than eight weeks from now in Addis Ababa.
Discussants will include diplomatic representatives from AU member states and other continents, AUC, Pan-African institutions such as UNECA, African Development Bank (AfDB), Pan-African Parliament and Regional Economic Communities (RECs), multi-lateral and donor agencies, African civil society organizations (CSOs), international non-governmental organizations (INGOs), academia, and community-based organizations.
The July FfD3 negotiations by member states must define innovative ways of mobilizing resources to drive development while addressing extreme poverty, inequality and underdevelopment – the framework to finance the post-2015 sustainable development goals (SDGs). Proposals may include domestic resource mobilization and tax reform, new commitments to Official Development Assistance (ODA), global changes for debt and macroeconomic policies, climate change financing, the role of private sector finance in development, and monitoring mechanisms to ensure commitments are met.
Oxfam is organizing this event to encourage the mobilization of all constituencies towards FfD3.
WHO: Speakers who will be available to meet with and answer questions from the media are:
- Mr. Charles Akelyira: Chief Executive Officer, the Savannah Accelerated Development Authority & Commissioner: Ghana National Development Planning CommissionFormer Director of the United Nations Millennium Campaign for Africa
- AUC Representative, presenting the results from the FFD African Regional Consultation 2015
- Dr. Vanessa Inko-Dokubo, Oxfam Pan Africa Policy Advisor on Extractive Industries
- Dr. Réné Kouassi, Director of Economic Affairs, African Union Commission
- Mr. Desire Assogbavi, Head of Office, Oxfam International Liaison Office to the African Union (Moderator)
These speakers may be available at other times for interviews. Please contact us to arrange
WHEN: Tuesday, May 19, 2015 14:00 – 18:00 pm
WHERE: AU Commission Headquarters, New Builing, Addis Ababa http://ea.au.int/en/sites/default/files/announcement%20EN%20final_rev1.pdf
Please ask questions during the Debate online using #FFDdebate and follow @assodesire, @Oxfam_AU, @palabanapalms, @Octavio_diogo
Media Contact: Sue Rooks email@example.com +1 917 224 0834