Over the years the Assembly of the African Union has been appointing Heads of State/Government to champion/lead on key issues and initiatives on the continental agenda. The aim is to give greater awareness and to mobilize continental and global support for the implementation of those initiatives/issues. Thematic assignments have played a role in enabling the Union to tackle wide array of issues on its agenda.
Who are those Champions?
- Continent’s Political Integration: Republic of Uganda: President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni
- Combating Early Marriage of Young Girls: Republic of Zambia : President Edgar Chagwa Lungu
- Continental Free Trade Area (CFTA): Republic of Niger: President Mahamadou Issoufou
- Harnessing the Demographic Dividend Through Investment in Youth: Republic of Chad: President Idriss Deby Itno
- Domestic Health Financing: Republic of Rwanda: President Paul Kagame
- Institutional Reform of the African Union: Republic of Rwanda: President Paul Kagame
- Implementation of the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP): Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia: Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed
- Maritime Security, Safety and Development in Africa: Republic of Togo: President Faure Essozimna Gnassingbe
- Combating Terrorism and Violent Extremism in Africa: People’s Republic of Algeria: President Abdelaziz Bouteflika
- Migration: Kingdom of Morocco: King Mohamed VI
- Implementation of the African Union Agenda 2063: Republic of Cote D’Ivoire: President Alassane Dramane Ouattara
- Gender and Development Issues in Africa: Republic of Ghana: President Nana Akufo Addo
- Committee of Ten (C10) on the United Nations Security Council reform: Republic of Sierra Leone: President Julius Maada Bio
- Education, Science and Innovation: Republic of Senegal: President Mr. Macky Sall
- AUDA/NEPAD Heads of State and Government Orientation Committee (HSGOC): Republic of Senegal: President Macky Sall
- Malaria: Kingdom of Eswatini: King Mswati III
- Winning the Fight against Corruption: A Sustainable Path to Africa’s Transformation: Federal Republic of Nigeria: President Muhammadu Buhari
- Climate Change (CAHOSCC): Republic of Gabon: President Ali Bongo Ondimba
- Revitalization and operationalization of the African Union Policy on Post Conflict Reconstruction and Development (PCRD): Arab Republic of Egypt: President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi
- Elimination of Female Genital Mutilation: Burkina Faso: President Roch Marc Christian Kaboré
- Refugees, Returnees and Internal Displaced Persons (IDP): Republic of Equatorial Guinea: President Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo
- High-Level Committee on Libya: Republic of Congo: President Denis Sassou Nguesso
- African Union- United Nations Cooperation: Republic of South Africa: President Cyril Ramaphosa
- Development of Blue Economy : Republic of Seychelles: H.E. President Danny Faure.
So far there are no standard modalities for the selection of those champions, the duration of the assignments are not clear and it is not sure if the assignment is transferable in case of change of leadership at the helm of the country. The African Union needs to clarify these.
This list may not be exhaustive. Please drop me a line on firstname.lastname@example.org or Desire.Assogbavi@assodesire.com should you have additional information or suggestions on this.